Tuesday, March 1, 2011

ROCKY START!

Let me start by saying that I don't know a THING about bicycle maintenance. This past week I discovered I had a slow leak on my front tire.  Jim helped me pump up my tire for my Friday ride.  Saturday morning I got up extra early to pump up my tire so I could be "ready" for the group ride.  Well the nob for the tube broke and the tire went completely flat!  GREAT!  In tears I threw one of my "I have no control" temper tantrums and thought "I GIVE UP! I CAN'T DO THIS!" 

Well, then my thoughts turned to my Dad, my Uncle Victor, and Aunt Carmela.  This bump in the road was not as hard as what they went through.  Not once did they lose the will to stop trying.  So I scooped up my front tire went to the local bike shop and made friends with the employees.  I told them I had no idea what I was doing and needed HELP changing the tire.  They were happy to help and now I know how to fix a flat!
So knowing that I missed my group ride...I was determined to ride 20 miles on my own.  I had my turkey subway for energy and I needed it!  The ride went surprisingly well!  I was excited at how much easier it was for me to maintain my pace.  I FELT GREAT...of course the thoughts of my Dad helped push me harder.  In the end I rode 21.14 miles!  I have never done that before!

So the lesson learned...Don't give up, there is too much to FIGHT for.

No comments:

Post a Comment