Monday, April 25, 2011

Farwell Usery Pass!

Before we begin each ride we have what is called "Mission Moments"  stories are told about those who have battled Leukemia or Lymphoma and won and those who have passed.  I decided to share my reason for joining Team in Training.  Not being able to hold back my tears I told the story about how my Dad fought this illness without every complaining or feeling sorry for himself.  How he dealt with his sickness inspired me to join the team and how he continued to inspire me to never give up!  "I ride for my Dad today and everyday."  There was not a dry eye in the group.... 

Saturdays ride was BITTER SWEET.  Bitter that I was unable to do the 55 Miles.  SWEET that my ride was easier for me to complete!  I had enough energy after the ride to go another 9 miles.

There was another novice rider that had not completed Usery Pass for 1 reason or another.  Knowing that I was alone during most of our last ride and how hard it could be on someone struggling mentally, I told her I would stick with her during our ride.   We maintained our speed and it felt good especially when she made it.  It wasn't easy but she did it! 
Usery Pass had gotten easier for me...I am stronger mentally and physically by pushing through.  It's a GREAT feeling!!!

When we got back to the parking lot I checked my phone for messages.  I had gotten 3 phone calls during my ride and forgotten to turn off my ringer.  1 message was from my cousin Rebecca...
She said she thought she had seen me on Usery Pass. She wanted me to call her back to let her know if it was me so she could throw something at me.  If you know my Family you know we are ruthless teasers...but always with LOVE.  What are the odds of that??!  She later said that once she saw my smile she knew it was me.  When you think about it, it's kind of cool that someone saw what I was doing.  She said she was going to spread the news..."Sylvia really is riding her bike!"

So I bid farewell to Usery Pass...although she haunted me in the beginning I conquered her and became stronger for it!  Next up Fountain Hills!   We will be building up to 75 miles in the next 4 weeks!

http://pages.teamintraining.org/dm/ambbr11/sguzmannzd

1 comment:

  1. You are so amazing! I love that you are doing this for your dad.

    ReplyDelete